Trap at the same time and place that the cats are normally fed. Trap the day before the clinic.
Withhold food for no longer than 24 hours before trapping. Always provide water.
Once a cat is trapped, cover the trap and move it to a temperature controlled area.
Make sure you have enough traps to do the entire colony.
For detail trapping instructions, click here for a printer-friendly version.
NEVER LEAVE TRAPS UNATTENDED
IMPORTANT: If you catch a raccoon or possum, release the animal where it was trapped:
- Cover the trap with a towel.
- Pull the towel back from the releasing end. Animal will retreat under towel.
- Open the door and stand behind the trap.
- Pull towel off and the animal should run out of the trap.
To purchase equipment, please visit these websites:
- ACES (traps and nets)
- Heart of the Earth Marketing (Tru-catch traps)
- Livetrap.com (Tomahawk traps)
To borrow traps, contact Metro Ferals.
If you have a specific trapping question, please contact us.